Author Topic: HM-1081 2nd edition  (Read 330 times)

Fuzzy

• Hurricane Owner
  • Every day is a roadstr day
    • View Profile
    • Email
HM-1081 2nd edition
« on: March 20, 2021, 09:36:23 AM »
Been a long time since I posted.  I ran into a heap of problems trying to register 1081 on the road in Indonesia.  I ended up with two choices:  pay a heap of money, several thousand to illegally register the car or sell it as is to someone that has "connections."  I ended up passing the word around that the car was up for sale the right price.  Got buyer who has numerous old US cars including a sweet 68 Mustang, all V-8's, all under the table registrations and heaps of money.  Sold it for $52,000 so recouped my investment and bills plus a bit in the pocket and chalked up as a great learning experience.  I loved the car but being in my 70's, it was just too much for my heavy foot and I always had to look over my shoulder.  The car was done except for body work, the buyer was happy, there is only one Cobra here that is as nice and that is a fully finished Back Draft that mysteriously ended up registered on the road, rumor has it, the owner paid near $220,000 to buy and import and register.  Haven't seen 1081 finished yet as I sold it just before Covid.  Some day will chase it down and post a picture.  Thanks to all of you who offered help over the years, having the only factory made right hand drive Hurricane was fun and I enjoyed the process.  Have moved on to a low powered local mini Toyota pickup as a project with my daughter, hoping to have it finished for her senior year.  Guess we just need to keep the garage full.  Thanks again to the Hurricane family.  Ken Clarke  HM 1081  pictures from just prior to sale
HM1081:)   aging gracefully in the garage

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM-1081 2nd edition
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 08:28:51 PM »
Fuzzy, thanks for the update. I know you had some real challenges during the build, but you were able to overcome them with style. Glad you were able to get a successful conclusion even if you don't own the car anymore. Hope all is well on your end.

Sam