Author Topic: HM2017 Build  (Read 14126 times)

NTX-CLANK

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM2017 Build
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2022, 09:49:11 PM »
Jeff,
  You sure are handy around the shop.  I get a kick out of following your build and "tweaks". I might want to add the fan shroud later after I see if I have a problem.  It sure looks nice.  I am 6'4" and never thought of hacking into the wheel well.  I did buy some room by moving my seat mounting  2" toward the tunnel to allow for some additional rear adjustment.

If you get bored, I might suggest that you pressure test your fuel tank.  Mine had some bad welds that I had repaired and tested - then leaked again after installation....NOT fun! 

Keep up the good work,

Jim
HM-2032
408 Stroker
“Some will boast in chariots and some horses, but we will boast in the name of the Lord, our God”. Psalm 20:7

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM2023, Builder of HM1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2022, 07:56:16 PM »
Jeff,
Can you identify the Summit part number or other identifying details. There are about 200 shrouds on the Summit site

Paul
https://65shlb.com   Documentation of a period correct build
https://prdcrrct.com  Affordable period correct components

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2022, 08:07:55 PM »
Here is the Summit shroud I used and is the same as Jeff used.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-381203

Jeff K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2022, 03:38:58 PM »
Yes, that is the one I used.

dawger

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2022, 06:47:50 AM »
I saw that summit has this shroud https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-381201?rrec=true which is 19.5 x 26 with a hole for a 16 inch fan that is the same depth. Wouldn’t have to trim the 14 inch hole to 16 inches or is that one too big, length wise?

Dawger

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2022, 07:33:21 AM »
That one is too wide. I did not enlarge the hole on mine and has little to no impact on the fan's performance. Fan blade is less than 15" diameter. Once my temp rose to the setpoint on my fan controller to turn off, it brought my temp back down nicely to the off setpoint.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:40:46 AM by Greg K »

dawger

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2022, 08:07:13 AM »
Yeah my bad, after going out and looking I realized error of my ways. Was remembering the size was roughly 26 inches wide BUT that was from the front where there isn’t any upper and lower hose obstacles. The fin section is approximately the 22 inches wide so the smaller one would be a better fit. Got mine on order, every little bit to keep these things cool helps.

Dawger

Jeff K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2022, 03:58:35 PM »
Jim, thanks for the tip on the gas tank.  Hopefully I don't have that problem with my tank.

Jeff K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2022, 04:00:30 PM »
I worked on the headlight area of the body some more.  I had noticed that the headlight mounting surfaces weren’t parallel to each other.  The driver side pointed down and to the left and the passenger side pointed to the right.  I realize the headlights are adjustable and this doesn’t make a practical difference but I wanted to fix it.  So, I sanded down the high areas, adding fiberglass to the backside as required, while building up the low areas with fiberglass.  I realize nobody will notice this but me.

dawger

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2022, 10:27:43 AM »
Jeff,
Before I forget, over the weekend I was installing the shroud kinda following your idea as a reference. I came across something you may want to think about before you go to far. As I was putting the hardware together to mount the fan similar to your nut and bolt idea and I thought what if the fan needs replaced at some time, how is one to get to the nuts on the back of the shroud between the radiator and the shroud without taking the entire thing out. Unless you have a secret flexible rubber wrench in order to get to those, I used nut-zerts in the shroud to run the bolts into instead of nuts. Just something to consider. Once completed you wouldn’t have to take 10 things apart just to get to the four bolts that hold the radiator in that are also used to attach the shroud. Don’t ask me how I know this to be true at least it was in my case.

Michael

Jeff K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2022, 11:09:42 AM »
Michael, that's a good point.  I hadn't thought about how I would replace the fan.  Adding rivet nuts would greatly simplify the process.  I think I'll take your suggestion and do that.  Thanks.

Jeff K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2022, 06:33:17 PM »
On my car I wanted the gas cap to sit higher in the fender opening.  To make this happen I built up the recessed area of the body with fiberglass about 3/8" thick.  But then when I fit the gas cap, I realized the body opening was now too wide, as the cap was sitting higher up in the funnel and didn’t look right.  To fix this, I build up the sides to make the funnel smaller.  I used resin and ground up fiberglass mixed together.  I made a mold and poured/pushed the resin into the gap.  It took a couple applications to build up the area but it came out better than I expected.  Again, probably no will notice but me.

Jeff K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2022, 06:33:58 PM »
More pictures.

Jeff K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2022, 12:41:37 PM »
Does anyone else have an engine on order with Craft Performance Engines?  I received some parts back from them yesterday that I originally sent to them to install on my engine.  No explanation provided.  Now they aren't answering their phone.  Makes me think something is going on.  Plus they're still holding my deposit.  Just wondering if anyone has heard anything.  Thanks.

FFR428

• FFR428
  • Hurricane Owner
  • HM-2027
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2022, 01:20:33 PM »
I know Lance Smith is the new owner once Keith retired. Have not heard much about them. He was on a few FB engine groups.
Google has some fairly current BBB reviews. Not great. Hope you can get some answers!

https://www.bbb.org/us/ar/arkadelphia/profile/rebuilt-engines/craft-performance-engines-llc-0935-4001344/customer-reviews#1323318154
HM2027. Street model. 427 FE. Toploader 4 sp.