Author Topic: Firewall aluminum  (Read 348 times)

Bruce N

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Firewall aluminum
« on: August 20, 2021, 01:33:15 PM »
Can anyone point me to a detailed discussion and pictures on the installation of the firewall aluminum? The manual su.....s >:( shows pictures of a totally different firewall and describes lips and such that are non existent on the panels I have. Ive dug around a bit, but cant find anything detailed. I cant see how you can make these look acceptable with just butting up the raw edges to each other without bent lips that fold over the joints? Thinking about tossing them and just finishing off the fiberglass.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:36:01 PM by Bruce N »

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Firewall aluminum
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 03:10:24 PM »
Here is a picture of Aaron's, all I got for now.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 05:02:41 PM by Greg K »

Bruce N

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 05:19:49 PM »
Here is a picture of Aaron's, all I got for now.
Thanks Greg. I think I like that. Looks like he just used the top and the footbox pieces and left off the inner trans tunnel pieces. That's where I was worried about it looking kinda cheesy where the two edges meet up at the front inside corner. Think I'll go with this. Haven't decided if I want to paint them or leave natural like his. Hummmmmmm??? decisions-decesions :)

Dan

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM 1066  351/395  TKO 600
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 05:31:14 PM »
My personal opinion based on having my Hurricane on the road for 10+ years is that the engine compartment aluminum sees some wear.  It's exposed to the road after all.  You can pretty it up all you want before you put it one the road, but once you have some miles on the car, it is going to have to be maintained.  For me, it wasn't worth it.  I built the car to be driven,  keeping the engine compartment aluminum looking fresh isn't how I chose to spend my time. 

Bruce N

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 10:42:29 PM »
My personal opinion based on having my Hurricane on the road for 10+ years is that the engine compartment aluminum sees some wear.  It's exposed to the road after all.  You can pretty it up all you want before you put it one the road, but once you have some miles on the car, it is going to have to be maintained.  For me, it wasn't worth it.  I built the car to be driven,  keeping the engine compartment aluminum looking fresh isn't how I chose to spend my time.
LOL Point taken. We all have our own sources of relaxation. For me, on a cold rainy night there's nothing better than hanging in the shop with the dog, turning on a football game, cracking a cold beer, and just piddling with whatever I might have in there at the time  :)

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build is done! (for now)
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 09:04:28 PM »
My firewall setup:. I first applied the heat shield supplied by Hurricane, then used some of the aluminum supplied by Hurricane, and used posterboard to make templates and patterns of the pieces around the footbox and tunnel, then cut out of aluminum sheet I sourced, I think it was .062.   

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 11:00:30 PM »
Sorry to be late to the party on this one.  I actually used all the pieces.  I bent the top of the inner trans tunnel pieces to about a 30 degree angle from vertical so they laid back and fit the space better.  I had Jason cut some custom pieces with a slight roll in them to fit from the firewall to the top of the foot boxes.  If you call Hurricane and ask Jason about them he will likely remember it and be able to reproduce them.
I used WD-40 and scotchbrite on all my aluminum to get that brushed look.  I bet I have 20 hours into sanding...
HM-2016
Smeding 427W
TKO 600

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 10:47:42 AM »
I posted this info over on the monthly discussion thread, but will post it here as well. Somebody had asked about how to protect the aluminum panels from corrosion, discoloration, etc. in a high heat area (ie engine bay) I was able to finally find the product I used so here is the info. The product I used was Protecta Clear. They sell their products on Ebay as well.

Everbrite, Inc
Reno, Nv
800-304-0566
www.ProtectaClear.com