Author Topic: HM-2032 - Texas Storm Chaser  (Read 1162 times)

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM-2032 - Texas Storm Chaser
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 06:52:29 AM »
Jim,
Pad gap can be resolved with the proper spacer, several styles out there. I used one that is shaped like the pad backplate for my gap of .190". If you have more you can get a .25" that is round and slips into the piston. Just google "metric caliper pad spacer".

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build is done! (for now)
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 01:24:34 PM »
Was great to finally meet you, Jim.

NTX-CLANK

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2021, 12:52:55 AM »
This was a good week!  My wife, Debbie and I installed the engine and transmission onto the frame.  It JUST made it with the transmission mount bolts at the extreme end of their X-frame slots.  I found a local driveshaft guru who will be able to complete my 14” center-to-center driveshaft this week.

I went ahead and installed the intake manifold, water pump, alternator brackets and distributor.  I made a decent first pass at wire routing with the headers in place.   I want to crank this thing up since it has never run…., but better slow my roll.

Worked out a plan for stainless flex fuel tubing and AN fittings.  Purchased component fittings and hard tube adapters so now, once I find good homes for each component, I can order simple straight connector tube assemblies or make my own.

I spent some time fabricating slave setup using a Miata 3/4” slave cylinder mounted to an angle bracket (based off of LMR design).  Went ahead and plumbed the line and tested.  Need to fabricate a stiffer bracket or just break down and buy the LMR $etup.  I really want this dialed in before I mount the tub. 

Performed a tub test fit and had to modify the shifter hole a bit.  Afterward, it looks pretty good relative to the frame.  I will also need to slot e-brake slot forward a bit.  Sounds like I should take Paul F’s advise and hold off on rivets and glue.

Installed the fuel sending unit.  Had to re-arrange a file a bit on the sender brackets to get it to fit and clock properly between the tank internal baffles.

Began looking at wiring and gages.  My T5 is from a 94-95 Mustang and it has an electronic sensor with 12-cog reluctor.  This will not work with the mechanical speedometer, so I am hunting for a good alternative.  I would rather not crack open the transmission.  Autometer makes an electronic Cobra style 4”, so I may go that route.  Calibration sounds like a breeze.  Any comments on this plan would be appreciated.

It’s time to decide on header and side pipe finishing.   I am thinking of wrapping my headers to help keep the heat down in the footbox area.  I probably need some further guidance on this issue.

Have 2 front wheels on the way now.  The 2 rear wheels are on backorder still and show 3 weeks out.  Oh well, I will find something to do while I wait.....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 12:56:04 AM by NTX-CLANK »
HM-2032
408 Stroker
“Some will boast in chariots and some horses, but we will boast in the name of the Lord, our God”. Psalm 20:7

NTX-CLANK

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2021, 01:15:15 AM »
It was kind of exciting this week to get my wheels.  I decided to ditch the backordered 10" wide wheels and went with 8" wide all around.  Had the tires mounted at Firestone after I reviewed their methods for protecting the aluminum wheels.  They did a great job!  Chassis is now looking more like a car now.

While picking the wheels up, I received a call from the driveshaft supplier and went and picked that up.  Looks great, but will probably need to adjust the pitch angle slightly after I set the chassis on the wheels.  I understand that some transmission mounts are lower profile and can help to straighten out the driveline.

Fabricated and painted the final version of the clutch slave bracket that is very stiff. 

Decided on braided nylon fuel hose and made up some lines for Tank to Filter, Filter to Pump and pump to Hard Line.  Fuel filter shown temporarily mounted waiting on me to fabricate a new bracket.  I need some more fitting$ to complete front lines.

Completed engine carburetor mounting and vacuum plumbing.  Also installed thermostat and bypass heater hose.  Transaxle transmission were filled with fluids.  Still need to test all brake lines and fittings.

Reviewed steering assembly and throttle linkage techniques.  Had to review forum posts in order to figure it out.  The throttle pedal mounts using a corner brace that doubles as a steering shaft bearing support brace, so no need to measure for the bearing clearance hole - just use the corner brace as a guide.  I could not put one bolt into the brace.  Three bolts are enough.

I did not purchase the aluminum wrap for front of footbox / firewall, so I will start sanding and filling the fiberglass in preparation for painting.  I plan to fill the tub / chassis voids similar to  Bruce N's methods as best I can.

That's it for now.  I think I will try to set the chassis down on the wheels to take a look at the alignments.  I also bought some adhesive to bond my dash covering, so I can start that project this weekend after I do some much-needed yard work.

Jim

HM-2032
408 Stroker
“Some will boast in chariots and some horses, but we will boast in the name of the Lord, our God”. Psalm 20:7

dawger

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »
Jim, an alternative to your speedometer issue, take a look at Speed Hut. They are the same ones I believe Hurricane uses on their factory car. They might be able to help you with your issue of connectivity.

Michael-
HM-2013

NTX-CLANK

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 10:50:29 PM »
Michael,
  Thank you for the tip.  I splurged a bit and ordered the SpeedHut GPS speedometer.  This will solve my T5 interface issue and provide upgraded accuracy and data.

HM-2032
408 Stroker

NTX-CLANK

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 11:31:43 PM »
Not a lot to report this past week, but I picked up some new "skills" related to fiberglass and painting.  Similar to what Bruce did, I fiberglassed in some sealing flanges and painted the exterior footbox area of the Cockpit.  I decided to practice the Sand - Bondo - Prime - Base Coat - Clear Coat spray methods and I think that it turned out pretty well for a newbie.  I just need to mount some reflective panels near where the headers will be and then, I can mount the tub.

I cut and bonded the vinyl to the dash panel and mounted all of the gauges except for the speedometer.  New GPS speedo has a 3 week lead time.

Debbie helped me bleed the brakes and check out all the brake line fittings (no leaks!)

Jim

HM-2032
408 Stroker

NTX-CLANK

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 08:52:24 PM »
Just a few updates to report this past week.

I cut a hole in trunk tub for sender clearance and access.

I riveted the aluminum panel forward of the dash and cut and stuck the wrinkly reflective sheet that was supplied with the kit. Looks better than I thought and maybe the refractive properties of the wrinkles will help???? Nahhh.

I painted the headers and sidepipes with VHT flat black and am ready to wrap the headers. Alec said the header/side pipe flange gaskets were due in, so he will send that to me.

I added edge trim on front fender well panels.

I ordered and received HW for footbox ventilation.

Attempted to fit up radiator and learned that my radiator was delivered without mounting channels attached. Alec is sending me some adapter brackets.

Mounted steering shafts and pillow blocks for real.

I won’t get anything done for about 2 weeks while I am in Louisiana working disaster relief.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 09:02:13 PM by NTX-CLANK »
HM-2032
408 Stroker

FFR428

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM-2027
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2021, 04:05:53 PM »
Very nice. Like the headers!
HM2027. Street model. 427 FE. Toploader 4 sp.

NTX-CLANK

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 09:49:22 PM »
Not a lot to report, but at least I will document the following lack of progress this week:

Headers:
  I completed the header wrap and painting.  I like how they turned out and hope they help keep the footbox area cooler.  Looking forward to being able to heat cure the VHT ceramic paint very soon.

Radiator/Fan:
  Received radiator adapto-brackets and fan mounting brackets from HMC today and will install radiator and fan tomorrow.

Dash:
  Received the SpeedHut GPS speedometer and installed into the dash.   I need some guidance on what the DPDT switch is for (see pic)….Update 9/19: I looked more closely at the manual.  Switch must be for high/low beam.

Footbox Vents:
  Gathering up the nerve to cut the 3" holes into my nice, new paint job......

Next report should include more about the above and the first fit-up of the body.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:31:09 AM by NTX-CLANK »
HM-2032
408 Stroker

FFR428

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM-2027
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 05:07:31 AM »
Header wrap is a good idea. I need to do the same. Everything looks great. Nice job.
HM2027. Street model. 427 FE. Toploader 4 sp.