Author Topic: HM-2030 Build Log - The Storm Ahead  (Read 7133 times)

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM2023, Builder of HM1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
Re: HM-2030 Build Log - The Storm Ahead
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2021, 07:31:52 PM »
Greg
Do yourself a favor and DON'T rivet/glue down the cockpit tub until you've put the body onto it and squared everything with the frame.

The bodies have a little twist in them and you can reduce much of it when you shift things around. If you mount everything down square, the rear will be offset about an inch to the passenger side.
https://65shlb.com   Documentation of a period correct build
https://prdcrrct.com  Affordable period correct components

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2021, 09:02:49 PM »
Won't be going down for sometime till after the motor, trans and driveshaft are in...just doing some prep. The tub doesn't really move much at all at the rear side to side, think you would have to make some notches at the wings at bottom, some trimming on the tub so it clears those wings and then open up the holes at roll bar stubs which I have already done. Now those holes I drilled may be off if it needs to shift. Tub will be coming back off next weekend. Once we get the tub back in later, will do just that to check how the body sits.  Thanks

Greg
Do yourself a favor and DON'T rivet/glue down the cockpit tub until you've put the body onto it and squared everything with the frame.

The bodies have a little twist in them and you can reduce much of it when you shift things around. If you mount everything down square, the rear will be offset about an inch to the passenger side.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 09:14:27 PM by Greg K »

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2021, 09:21:17 PM »
Did start on the go pedal bracket today. Throttle shaft will get a bushing.

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build is done! (for now)
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2021, 08:55:13 AM »
Greg, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I hope you also aligned cockpit tub with the body on.  Cockpit tub is the "saddle" for the body and its placement pretty much determines where the body aligns with the the frame, tires, etc.       I didn't drill and rivet my tub down until after several trial fitments and I had the body aligned with doors, hood, trunk, windshield, front/rear bumper quickjacks, etc.   

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2021, 10:33:14 AM »
You're not raining on anything...It's coming back out soon for other work. I just drilled the seat bracket holes, no rivets or adhesives involved. When I set and drilled for the windshield, I went thru a process of checking the body position, nose height, rear end height with quick jack bolts and a few other measurements with the tub in the same position. Is it right, who knows, but note taken.

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2021, 04:50:23 PM »
After spending an extended weekend with family last weekend and being out of town for most of this week, I was able to get back at it.
Ended up bolting on the front engine components of my motor, water pump, alternator and pulleys. Kit from CVF Racing.

Still waiting on the block plate, but my bellhousing, clutch and trans showed up this week too. So I'll be getting to it soon.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 05:36:20 PM by Greg K »

Redstang69

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2021, 04:48:33 PM »
Hey Greg, any chance you could provide some more details on your engine? What's heads and intake? Roller motor? Those look like really nice numbers for that motor. As you know I'm going with a 351 for a base. Will probably keep the cubes the same but upgrade the intake and heads to open it up some.

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2021, 11:22:54 AM »
It's a roller motor, bored and stroked seasoned block. Cam is custom grind from Comp, heads as cast are from Liberty Performance, Edelbrock Performer intake with Holley 650 Street HP carb. Would have to dig into the build file for more details. Could get more out of it if I had sprung for an air gap intake and more expensive quick fuel carb, but I'm happy with it.

Hey Greg, any chance you could provide some more details on your engine? What's heads and intake? Roller motor? Those look like really nice numbers for that motor. As you know I'm going with a 351 for a base. Will probably keep the cubes the same but upgrade the intake and heads to open it up some.

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2021, 03:45:11 PM »
About time for some updates on my progress and milestone this weekend. Been prepping for my transmission installing the flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch and bellhousing.
Temporarily installed my shift handle, makes this tranny shift real sweet and comfortable. The T5 upgraded by Pro Motion slipped in with no issues.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 04:12:39 PM by Greg K »

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2021, 03:57:12 PM »
The other day I built a set cribbing stands for after I install the motor and trans. Now on to the motor and trans install. Got the wheels and tires on and for the first time, the chassis hit the ground. Exchanged the engine stand for the motor mounts with no issue.
Earlier I obtained 1/2"x 7/16" steel bushings (see earlier post) for the motor mount bolt to the frame, having them made it a bit more challenging due to the tighter tolerances and not having any slop in the main bolt, but was able to get it all snug and mounted. Slots in the x-brace were just long enough forward for the trans mount bolts, closeups of mount shown.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 04:14:08 PM by Greg K »

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2021, 04:07:48 PM »
Rolled it outside for more pics and got to say I'm pleased with how things are coming together little by little. Put away now till I can get back to it next weekend. Next up will be fuel line, waiting on starter, and will plumb the hydraulic line to the clutch slave.

FFR428

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM-2027
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2021, 04:57:31 PM »
Nice job!!
HM2027. Street model. 427 FE. Toploader 4 sp.

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2021, 10:02:30 AM »
Good progress....looks good.

Redstang69

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2021, 09:19:40 PM »
It was a good weekend for you. Thing is looking really good.
I just noticed you were able to keep the oil filter in the original location. Is that true for the Windsor platform? Can you use a factory oil pan on the Windsor with no clearance issues?

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2021, 07:47:04 AM »
Thanks guys!

No clearance issue with the front sump style pan or filter, pan is 8" deep. I went with the Milodon for the internal horizontal baffling.
I did not measure the actual clearance to the frame for the filter. If needed, will change out to the FL300 shorter style filter which would solve that if it's an issue.