Author Topic: Hurricane Update  (Read 1205 times)

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM2023, Builder of HM1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
Hurricane Update
« on: October 11, 2023, 10:25:22 AM »
Hurricane progress – you may have seen the recent post by Hurricane of their first frame on Facebook. You can see the post here

Have to hand it to these guys. Everyone knows there are some issues with the fixture for the frame that cause some build issues. They built a frame on a fixture table to verify the drawings and make the necessary corrections rather than continue on with the same old problems. Not the easiest path but they have addressed the problems. I am inspired by the way they are attacking this ‘move’.

They are also completing a car as a roller for one of the previous customers. What better way to learn of the issues and satisfy a customer at the same time?

I had an opportunity to visit them and the new facility last month and was duly impressed. I think our brand is in good hands – let me correct that – Better hands. Look forward to the future.

Paul

ps: don't be alarmed, the front tube cross-braces haven't been installed yet and the cross-tube in front of the X frame is sole for handling rigidity until the frame is finished. This particular frame was built for a small block
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 10:31:37 AM by Paul Proefrock »
https://65shlb.com   Documentation of a period correct build
https://prdcrrct.com  Affordable period correct components

Jerry Koepke

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM1085
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hurricane Update
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 04:23:37 PM »
Great to see progress happening.  Thanks for posting that Paul!

Bass And Hot Rods

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 12:12:31 PM »
Hurricane progress – you may have seen the recent post by Hurricane of their first frame on Facebook. You can see the post here

Have to hand it to these guys. Everyone knows there are some issues with the fixture for the frame that cause some build issues. They built a frame on a fixture table to verify the drawings and make the necessary corrections rather than continue on with the same old problems. Not the easiest path but they have addressed the problems. I am inspired by the way they are attacking this ‘move’.

They are also completing a car as a roller for one of the previous customers. What better way to learn of the issues and satisfy a customer at the same time?

I had an opportunity to visit them and the new facility last month and was duly impressed. I think our brand is in good hands – let me correct that – Better hands. Look forward to the future.

Paul

ps: don't be alarmed, the front tube cross-braces haven't been installed yet and the cross-tube in front of the X frame is sole for handling rigidity until the frame is finished. This particular frame was built for a small block

I agree Paul.  I visited them at the beginning of August.  I was very encouraged.

Pete1320

• Pete's Snake Bite Kit
  • Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Pete's Snake bite kit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 11:15:35 PM »
Thanks for the update!
HMS 2029

finleycraft

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 10:27:47 AM »
I was thinking and dreaming about my future build while rewatching (Pete's build Vlog) and debating some more about engine choices (again) and started to wonder. Any idea if the new owners bought all the existing steel/3rd party parts stock and manufacturing relationships as a part of the sale? Also I am curious about the "issues" from the frame build of the previous owners. What exactly needed to be reworked? I thought the sale included the jigs and molds. Sorry for the ignorance here.

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM2023, Builder of HM1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 08:38:46 PM »
The new owners bought all the assets, intellectual property, fixtures and molds, inventory, everything.

The issue began when they got the pieces back to their shop and learned some of the main fixtures weren't usable. Jason had talked about the main fixture problems for the past 5 years - and he worked around it by hand-building certain parts. But those issues weren't communicated to the new owners. SURPRISE!

It's like getting married only to learn she squeezes the toothpaste tube in the middle. It can be fixed but will take some work and time.

Not a big issue but adds considerable time and expense to getting fully operational.
https://65shlb.com   Documentation of a period correct build
https://prdcrrct.com  Affordable period correct components

finleycraft

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 03:31:55 PM »
Thank you for that explanation Paul. Much appreciated. :)   All good things come in time. Going through the extra effort up front to build on an already good platform will show dividends in the long run.

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 10:12:33 AM »
Any chance of getting a list of the particulars in regards to corrections made on the new frame?
HM-2016
Smeding 427W
TKO 600