Author Topic: HM-2018 Build Thread  (Read 20618 times)

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
HM-2018 Build Thread
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:53:23 PM »
Although I haven't taken delivery of HM-2018 as of this date, I thought this would be a good time to say hello and to update all on my progress in preparation for the project.  After two years of searching, I was able to locate and purchase a very nice, untouched 1968, 427 Side Oiler block in February of 2014.  Documentation provided with the block show that it was in CSX3337 while it was raced and while in storage until 2013, when the original engine for CSX3337 was reinstalled as part of a concourse restoration project.  I took the block to a local machine shop/engine builder specializing in building engines for circle track and drag racing, with clients in Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa.  They also perform restoration on engines for collectors of NHRA drag and NASCAR cars from the 60s.  Does a lot of GM work, but loves Ford FEs.  When I brought this 427 Side Oiler block into his shop, the owner was amazed at the pristine condition of the block.  He is extremely busy with his race engine and restoration work.
Two and one-half years later, I brought the completed engine home this August after he dyno'd it.  Dyno results are as follows:  555HP and 565 Ft. LB. torque.  I have since clocked the bell-housing and installed the clutch, pressure plate and transmission.  I have attached images of the engine in its current state.
I had originally planned on purchasing a Cobra kit from a manufacture located 50 miles north of where we live.  To ensure ourselves we were making the right decision, my Wife and I thought it would be a good idea  pay Hurricane Motorsports a visit before pulling the trigger on a car with the local manufacture.  In April, we took a 3 1/2 hour drive over to Lake City to see what Hurricane had to offer.  That was a wise decision.  We meet with Steve, Jason and Monty.  They took us on an impressive plant tour that included their other product lines.  Monty even took us out for a ride in the shop car on that very cool Friday in April.  On the way home to Nebraska, we knew it was a day well spent.  Jason and Steve have been very supportive with my questions.  They will be great to work with.

I hope the pictures I have attached show up.  I didn't see them in the preview for this post.

HM-2018 - build has started
427/451 FE Side Oiler + TKO-600 0.82
9" solid axle 3.50:1 limited slip
Willwood 12.25" New brakes
15" Vintage Wheels - pin drive

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM-2018 Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 06:06:21 AM »
Welcome Russ.  I speak for a number of people on this forum that believe you made the right decision to buy a Hurricane.  I know my choice was right and have never looked back.  The guys at Hurricane are really great.  Welcome to the madness.  There are a lot of guys out here that can provide a lot of help during your build.  Just let us know.

Really nice engine.  Nice pedigree as well.  It will look really nice in a HM-2018 too.

Keep us posted on progress and of course keep the pictures coming.

Russ Rittimann
HM-2005
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 07:17:33 AM »
Welcome, I'm guessing you were talking about Shell Valley, They were on my short list as well and I know a lot of parts for other cars come from them (including Hurricane). But as you found like I did, Hurricane has their program together, and the car is just a compliment to their other business'.

I will also add Yeah - another FE big block.

Mark 

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build is done! (for now)
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »
Hay! Anther Gen II builder is always a great thing... great to meet you Russ.  That's an awesome piece of originality with cool provenance you got there. Looking forward to watching your build!
HM-2008 build thread: http://forum.hurricane-motorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2352.

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 06:56:07 PM »
Russ,
First of all...a big hearty welcome to the group.  I too looked at all the cobra replica manufacturers and, like you, felt like my decision was made up the minute I met Jason, Monty, Mike and the gang and toured the Manufacturing facility in Lake City, IA.  It's a great company that turns out an AWESOME product!
Second, that 427 FE is a thing of beauty.  It's gonna look and sound great in the Hurricane.
Third, I am glad that I am no longer the newbie on the forum!! 
HM-2016
Smeding 427W
TKO 600

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:19:39 PM »
My Wife and I went for a little drive over to Lake City, IA on Veterans Day to check the progress on HM-2018.  Jason had nearly completed construction of the frame and was checking the alignment of the FE engine mounts.  I'm going to recommend Steve and Monty get an engine hoist for Jason.

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 05:54:17 AM »
Holy Mackerel!!!  Those Iowa boys are strong.  Best to not mess with them.....
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
Russ, saw you had posted on Aaron's build page about e brake mods. Presume you actually took delivery of HM2018 over the holidays sometime, how about an update on your build?

Mark

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:24 PM »
Mark,
We took delivery on January 9th. I have been traveling and working an some large progects with my job and haven't had time to post progress on HM-2018. Most of the work so far has been done on the weekends. Progress includes the following.
battery cables
supply and return fuel lines
mounted and plumbed fuel pump
pedal assembly installed
brake lines plumbed
fuel tank mounted
fuel level sensor installed
e brake installed with mod
aluminum foot box covering installed
found and pressed in some 1/2" OD X 3/8" I'D bronz bushings for the accelerator pedal pivot

Saturday I will pull the trunk tub and cockpit and drop the engine/transmission assemble in to allow me to plum the clutch slave cylinder, cut the battery negative cable, terminate and find a good place to attach to engine block and look at routing for the fuel lines for the fuel injection. I also may take a look at getting drive shaft measurements. Sunday I will remove the set covers to install seat heaters and put the seat covers back.
Attached below is a picture of the foot box work.

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 07:55:26 AM »
Russ, looks like you are really getting after it. I know you will enjoy the build as have the rest of us. Keep the updates coming and enjoy.

Sam

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »
The weather in Nebraska was incredibly warm this weekend. I'm sure we will have to pay for it with a major snow storm before Spring. My wife and I dropped the engine in today. The X-support for the transmisson took some work to get the 1/2" bolts through both the brace and frame.  Fastnal was closed so found some 1/2" grade 8 at ACE hardware. Sort of pricey, but got it done. Did anyone get the 1/2" bolts with the your car?
Finished bending the hydraulic clutch line between the master and slave cylinders. I didn't realize they would be so close together. The FE engine mount on the driver's side has to have the bottom hole elongated on a Side Oiler. I also added the ERA mod to the driver side mount. I don't know if I will ever need it, but should help keep the mount from seperating.
I didn't  get the seat heaters installed today, so maybe next weekend.

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »
Russ!  Your ride is looking awesome!  I am not that far behind you but seeing your pics is motivating me to get the fuel system finished this week so I can get that engine in.
Good work!
HM-2016
Smeding 427W
TKO 600

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build is done! (for now)
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »
What is the "ERA mod" to the driver side engine mount?
HM-2008 build thread: http://forum.hurricane-motorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2352.

MFE III

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM #1053
    • MSN Messenger - mferieg@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:12:22 AM »
ERA Motor Mount Mod
http://erareplicas.com/fiaman/engine/mountmod.htm
I did it also.
HM 1053; 427w, TKO 600 (.82) IRS Cobra hybrid . . . burns both rubber and gas