Author Topic: HM-2030 Build Log - The Storm Ahead  (Read 111 times)

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
HM-2030 Build Log - The Storm Ahead
« on: August 25, 2020, 07:32:02 pm »
I figured today was good as any to get this started even though it'll be at least 8 weeks before my kit is ready. My build plan starts out fairly basic with a few personal modifications that'll make it different in some ways.

So starting off, the order was made after my visit and started out with the 427 kit with the following:
- Alum Firewall back of dash that will be powder coated
- Powder coated frame, powder coat will be the same hammered or silver vein used on the coyote build. Will also coat the latch backing plate
- Premium carpet
- Undercoating of the cockpit and trunk tub
- Upgraded aluminum fuel tank
- Upgraded front calipers to Wilwood D154
- Standard brake package for rear axle
- Eaton Detroit Tru-Trac LSD (3.50 Gear ratio)
- Roll bar and Quick Jacks to be chrome
- Roll Bar trim rings
- Wind Wings & Sun Visors
- LED rear tail lights
- Ceramic coated side pipes and headers
- Gauge Package Delete
- Wire Harness, switches, & Indicator Lights Delete
- Mirror Delete
- Shift Lever & Knob Delete
- Seats & Harness Delete
- Will be adding mounting tabs to the frame at specific locations for eye bolt anchors. These will be used for a clip in style safety harness.
- Utilizing a programmable solid state power distribution module with remote switch panel eliminating fuses and relays. Small fuse panel will still be necessary for brake switch and some other items.
- I plan on using the aluminum cobra bucket seats from Ultra Shield pictured below.
- Working on dash layout, preliminary layout pictured below. Gauges will be from Speedhut, but using dual gauge speedo with fuel level, tach, oil pressure, water temp and volts.
- Shift lever which I posted in another thread is the Jordan shifter.
- Planned power is 347 SBF w/ carb from Prestige Motorsports mated to a modified T-5, hydraulic slave for clutch.
- Superlite wheels, 15x10 rear and 15x8 front. Have always liked these wheels and found a good example of a roadster with them bolted on pictured below.

As for color, will be solid color no stripes, started out as race red, then I changed to a solid Porsche non metallic blue from the 60's, but came across HM-1001 pictured below after it was repaired and changed to silver, really liking the stance and look of this one. So it may be silver, but who knows, the color may change again. My side pipe coating as of now is silver, but most likely will change it to black like HM-1001.

Will update when I can as the build progresses and from updates or pics I can get from the guys at Hurricane.

Dan

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM 1066  351/395  TKO 600
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM-2030 Build Log - The Storm Ahead
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 09:30:35 am »
I used the Kirkey version of the seat you pictured above.  Good call, that style really keeps you firmly planted.  My first autocross in HM 1066 I was still using the stock driver's seat and found I was sliding around so much I had a death-grip on the steering wheel to keep my self in the seat.  The Kirkey eliminates all lateral movement, enabling you to be much more aggressive in sharp corners. 

Have fun with your build!

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 10:15:29 am »
Looking forward to your build progress. Enjoy!

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build is done! (for now)
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 02:43:22 pm »
Looking forward to watching your build as well!   

Are you going with the InfinityBox wiring harness?   I really wanted to go that route but was very expensive.   I ended up with the stock Haywire harness, no problems so far other than a faulty blinker relay out of the box...

I also have a Kirkey Race driver seat as well as the stock Sube Sports cobra seats. I swap out the stock with the Kirkey on track days, doesnt take much effort.  I really like it.

I'm sure you will get lots of unsolicited advice along the way, as I did.    So i'll go ahead and get started ;)   mine is an early 2nd gen (HM2008) and I ordered black power coat frame and suspension.   I ended up having to make a lot of modifications along the way, grinding off powder coat to weld, then re-coating it with black POR-15.    Hopefully by now Hurricane has resolved the quality control issues I had.    I would also strongly advise waiting to ceramic coat your exhaust until you have test fitted on your car with drive train and body installed.   I had some fitment issues, and still do on the driver side.   I also ended up swapping out the stock mufflers with 3" I.D.  24" long CobraPack from Classic Chambered Exhaust before powder coating.  Very happy with the CobraPack muffler, and they will never rattle.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:45:10 pm by Bob Worley »

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 07:00:49 pm »
Thanks Guys...I appreciate any comments or suggestions as we go down this road.

Looking forward to watching your build as well!   

Are you going with the InfinityBox wiring harness?   I really wanted to go that route but was very expensive.   I ended up with the stock Haywire harness, no problems so far other than a faulty blinker relay out of the box...

I'll be using the system from Switch-Pros

I'm sure you will get lots of unsolicited advice along the way, as I did.    So i'll go ahead and get started ;)   mine is an early 2nd gen (HM2008) and I ordered black power coat frame and suspension.   I ended up having to make a lot of modifications along the way, grinding off powder coat to weld, then re-coating it with black POR-15. Hopefully by now Hurricane has resolved the quality control issues I had.

Hopefully they have and that all of you have provided sufficient feedback to them as to what works and what doesn't. Alec was open to all sorts of suggestions during my visit.

I would also strongly advise waiting to ceramic coat your exhaust until you have test fitted on your car with drive train and body installed.   I had some fitment issues, and still do on the driver side.   I also ended up swapping out the stock mufflers with 3" I.D.  24" long CobraPack from Classic Chambered Exhaust before powder coating.  Very happy with the CobraPack muffler, and they will never rattle.

You and I discussed the Cobrapacks briefly and I think they have good muffler design, Hurricane doesn't fabricate the side pipes in house, but I'm going to count on them being right, perhaps replacing them with the Cobrapacks down the road if necessary.

FFR428

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM-2027
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 02:28:41 am »
Like those seats!! Very cool build you have planned. I'm still waiting for delivery date on mine. Based on the frame pics you took of mine it'll be a little longer. But I had to get a new garage in place among other things. So I needed extra time. I'll start a build thread soon as it gets here.
HM2027. Street model. 427 FE. Toploader 4 sp.

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 08:07:58 am »
From what I've head they're pretty comfortable as well. I think waiting for that that date is the hardest part, They just got real busy and with the move and getting things set up, set them back a little.
In the meantime, I'll be starting on a chassis dolly and a then a body buck or something to elevate or suspend the body above.

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 12:15:07 pm »
Got the chassis dolly built this morning, now onto the body buck in another week or two.

FFR428

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM-2027
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 09:24:05 am »
That's really nice Greg. Is that your own design? Looks super strong too. I have to get in gear here and do the same. Tic tok...........LOL ;)
HM2027. Street model. 427 FE. Toploader 4 sp.

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 09:57:30 am »
Thanks, I duplicated the dolly dimensions that Hurricane has around the shop, but in wood. It'll be used until the engine is dropped in.

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:05:13 pm »
Got some reading material while I wait...