Author Topic: My Visit to Hurricane  (Read 377 times)

dgldseq

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Visit to Hurricane
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 05:26:18 pm »
I'll have to get that carb. info. for you.  It has been sitting in a box since 1984 and now is at my engine builders shop.  I asked him if he thought I should go with a new carb or maybe a EFI carb look alike system.  His response was hell no!  He said he could make that carb perform as well as any new carb or EFI system (minus the better gas mileage with the EFI).  Plus it was defeating the purpose of keeping the period correct appearance, which I am trying to do.  So, that means mounting fuse blocks, etc., on the firewall as the original cars as well as several other visual correct things.  The only thing I'm having a little difficulty finding is a pair of the Cibie fogs, which you pointed out....good observation buy the way.  I purchased a couple of items that were original on the car and sent them to Alec to use in place of some of the parts that Hurricane supplies that give it a more period correct look as well.  Until the car gets here I think I'll have just about all I need.  Hope your parts search goes well.  I have learned that patience really is a virtue.   
FE 427 S.O., TKO 600, I.R.S.

Greg K

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2020, 05:54:19 pm »
Some pics of new prototype tank with slanted bottom.

FFR428

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM-2027
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2020, 02:54:21 am »
I'll have to get that carb. info. for you.  It has been sitting in a box since 1984 and now is at my engine builders shop.  I asked him if he thought I should go with a new carb or maybe a EFI carb look alike system.  His response was hell no!  He said he could make that carb perform as well as any new carb or EFI system (minus the better gas mileage with the EFI).  Plus it was defeating the purpose of keeping the period correct appearance, which I am trying to do.  So, that means mounting fuse blocks, etc., on the firewall as the original cars as well as several other visual correct things.  The only thing I'm having a little difficulty finding is a pair of the Cibie fogs, which you pointed out....good observation buy the way.  I purchased a couple of items that were original on the car and sent them to Alec to use in place of some of the parts that Hurricane supplies that give it a more period correct look as well.  Until the car gets here I think I'll have just about all I need.  Hope your parts search goes well.  I have learned that patience really is a virtue.

Ebay has the Cibie foglights. Expensive but saw a NOS pair for $300 with clear and amber lens w/ white covers.
HM2027. Street model. 427 FE. Toploader 4 sp.

FFR428

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM-2027
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2020, 02:57:18 am »
Greg that's a nice tank! No idea what I'm getting but one of those would be good. :-)

dgldseq

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2020, 04:24:12 pm »
I did see some of the Cibies on EBAY.  They look close to the original ones used on the Gumball car.  Can't seem to find the model # of the fogs anywhere on the net.  Googled it without any luck.  So I might have to take the plunge and order one just to see the fit and how I would mount it.  The Gumball car appeared to mount them to a bar between the bumperettes and left the hoop off.  I'm going to try to figure a way to mount them to the hoop and hopefully get a similar look.  It's all fun.  Maybe I'll have the car completed to drive to car shows next year.  It's September, your car should be on its way shortly  :) 
FE 427 S.O., TKO 600, I.R.S.

FFR428

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM-2027
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2020, 03:29:13 am »
I'm not sure what they used either. I know some had metal covers and some plastic. Yes it sure does look like just a metal bar they were mounted on. Pretty easy to do.
My car will be a while still. Hopefully sometime in October. Alec said they were still working on the under car exhaust. I told him take the time they need to get it right.
Hope your car is done soon. I think it will just needed final paint. Can't wait to see it painted.