Author Topic: HM1085 Build Thread  (Read 146 times)

jkoepke

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
HM1085 Build Thread
« on: May 20, 2020, 03:35:51 pm »
Hey everyone, wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Jerry Koepke and I inherited my dad's (Jim Koepke) Cobra project HM1085 after he died back at the end of February this year.  He bought the kit back in 2007 and enjoyed working on it for many years.  We both enjoy building things even more than using, so his real joy was in working on the car he ultimately never got a chance to finish.  He spent long hours working and re-working things on this car for years.  Wish he could have completed it, but I'll do my best to honor his memory and do a good job finishing it off for him.  Can't wait to take my mom for a ride in it some day in the not too distant future.

My dad started out working on this project at their home in Brownsville, MN back in 2007, but ended up taking it to their winter home down in Lake Havasu City, AZ some years ago.  After his death, my brother and I drove out there in March where I bought an enclosed trailer and brought the car back home to Milton, WI where I live with my wife and two daughters.  Since getting the car home, I've spent most of my time getting rid of other projects and making room in my small two car garage for this project.  Wish I didn't have it for obvious reasons, but I'm loving working on it so far.  My wife hasn't seen me very much since I got the car in the garage.  My dad had probably around 90% of the mechanicals done and was just starting to work on the body.  Unfortunately, his health was not good for the last several years, so there hasn't been a lot of progress for a while. 

After getting it home, I decided to take the body off so I could complete all the mechanical work and get it driving, then I'll start on completing the body.  So far I've been working on the exhaust, got the brakes all cleaned up, bled and working, got the dash installed again and am currently working on finishing out the wiring. 

One question I have for you guys is what was the process like for you to get the car titled and insured?  I'm having some issues because my insurance company needs a 17 digit VIN number, but the car doesn't currently have one.  My dad had registered it and even has plates in Minnesota for it, but the registration sheet just says the manufacturer is HURR and the VIN is 085.  Both my parents and I have American Family Insurance, but theirs is on a older system that doesn't care about the length of the VIN and mine is on a newer system that requires a 17 digit VIN.  Unfortunately, we're having trouble locating all the paper work my dad says he kept for the car, so we don't even know where the current Minnesota title is for it and will probably have to request a duplicate.  I'll have to get a Wisconsin one and I assume do something to get a valid 17 digit VIN here, but wondered if anyone else has had to deal with this or knows what the process is?

I'll have a lot more questions for everyone as I go, but for now, here are some pictures of the car as it is right now.

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM 1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
Re: HM1085 Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 08:06:37 pm »
Jerry
Sorry to hear about your Dad, I'm certain he's looking over your shoulder as you complete the build.

Every state is different in its requirements for licensing. If the car has already been licensed in Minnesota, much of the battle is done. You will now be transferring a legal title/license from one state to another. Wisconsin will have a process for that and also a process for assigning the 17 digit VIN.

Maybe there is a Wisconsin forum member who will speak up. Another idea is to look on the FFCars.com forum for another cobra owner in Wisconsin near you. They may be able to share information on transferring/licensing.

If all else fails, a call to the State DMV number and ask them - be prepared for a long answer as this isn't done daily and the person you're talking to may not truly know the correct answer.

Welcome to the Hurricane family

Paul
https://65shlb.com   Documentation of a period correct build
https://prdcrrct.com  Affordable period correct components

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 05:48:35 am »
Welcome Jerry.

Sorry to hear about you Dad.

Keep us up to date on finishing the car and registration.  My insurance company and Texas registration was OK with the HMxxxx VIN.

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 09:21:27 am »
Jerry, welcome. Sorry to hear about your Dad. I think Paul is on the right track. Try the transfer of title from Minnesota to Wisc. route. Wisc. may assign a new VIN number that will satisfy the insurance Co. Also, for insurance you can try one of the insurance companies that specialize in classic and replica cars such as Midwest Insurance, Haggerty, and there are others. As Paul suggested search other Cobra forums for insurance suggestions. Some times the specialty insurance companies are the best for rates as many of the traditional insurance companies don't know how to handle classic and replica cars.

Sam

RLB

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 11:04:19 am »
Jerry,
Sorry to hear about your father.  I'm sure that he would be pleased that you are finishing up the car.  You will have fond memories of him while completing the project, and you will experience his thrill when you fire it up and drive it for the first time.
I have not registered my car in Iowa yet, but I have insured it.  There are a lot of good insurers, but I settled on Heacock Classics insurance, which I found to have good coverage options at a reasonable price.

Welcome to the Hurricane family,

Bob
HM2007

jkoepke

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 05:16:43 pm »
More progress made on the Cobra.

Got the wiring for the dash completely done and all lights and controls tested and working. Got the exhaust headers on, spark plus in and wires all connected. Got the battery tray installed and put a new battery in and all the cables for it run and connected. Just need an oil filter and I believe it's ready to start up for the fist time! 

I do have a filter relocation kit that I need to install since the stock filter for the 351w block is huge and will just about touch the inner fender liner once I have the brackets installed for that.  Where are people mounting these?  I've seen some mounted right on the front of the engine, but the mount I have isn't going to fit there very well unless I make a separate bracket for it (which is fine).  Any suggestions?  I'm going to need some right angle hose connections for the kit I have since they come straight out both the end for the block and the filter end and I know that won't work for this application.

Anyway, a few more picture of where things are at.  For now I'm just going to stick with the factory slip on exhaust for the side pipes, but may fit it with flanges at a later date.  It's been 13 years this kit has been worked on and the engine hasn't been started yet and I want to hear this thing run!  I think my dad may have started it for a few seconds years ago after getting things mounted, but never even warmed up.

Greg K

• Hurricane fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 08:10:26 pm »
You're making good progress, look forward to your updates.

jkoepke

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 08:11:54 pm »
Tried to start it up last night for the first time.  Unfortunately, no spark. 

After some testing and researching online, have determined the MSD Digital 6 Plus  module is completely dead.  I hear you can send them in to be repaired, but sounds like it's around $100 with shipping.  Decided to get a new one instead and went with the MSD Street Fire.  Still keeping it MSD for now, but since the car will be used mostly for cruising, I didn't feel I needed all the features the Digital 6 Plus had to offer and was only $171 for the Street Fire compared to $400 for a new Digital 6 Plus. 

Should have the new module here Tuesday and hopefully I'll hear this beauty fire up for the fist time.  Apparently my dad started it three times in the past, but I was never there to hear it.  Really looking forward to it.

If anyone has any experience with the Street Fire or getting a MSD Digital 6 Plus repaired, I'd love to hear about it.  Still keeping that option open just in case.

jkoepke

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 07:13:36 pm »
Got the new MSD Street Fire ignition module today and installed it.  Engine fired right up!  So pumped to have heard this thing for the first time.  Just headers on it right now, so it was a bit loud to say the least, but I loved it!  My wife wasn't as excited and thought things were going to start falling off shelves in the house, but well worth it. 

Still have a ton to do, but definitely a huge milestone for me.

Not sure if there is a way to post a video on here, so here's a link to my Facebook video if anyone is interested. 
https://www.facebook.com/JerryKoepke/videos/10222897540411430/

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:24:36 pm by jkoepke »

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 05:45:13 am »
Nice!!!  Sounds really good.  Keep up the good work.

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build is done! (for now)
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 09:28:46 am »

I do have a filter relocation kit that I need to install since the stock filter for the 351w block is huge and will just about touch the inner fender liner once I have the brackets installed for that.  Where are people mounting these?  I've seen some mounted right on the front of the engine, but the mount I have isn't going to fit there very well unless I make a separate bracket for it (which is fine).  Any suggestions?  I'm going to need some right angle hose connections for the kit I have since they come straight out both the end for the block and the filter end and I know that won't work for this application.

I fabricated a remote oil filter bracket like the original 427FE brackets, for my 351W, which mounts to the water pump.  You can see some pics in this post:

http://forum.hurricane-motorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2352.msg25003#msg25003

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 08:40:33 am »
I also had to fab a bracket to mount to the water pump.

jkoepke

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 10:07:00 am »
Bob...or anyone else,

Do you have a drawing or dimensions in any way for that bracket you made up for the oil filter?  I'm very comfortable fabricating parts and can just make something, but if I had the info, I'd prefer to make something that looks like it belongs on the car.

Greg K

• Hurricane fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 11:52:29 am »
You can also obtain this bracket from Shelby https://www.shelbyengines.com/products/remote-oil-filter-bracket

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 10:47:00 am »
Jerry, sorry no drawing. I just took some measurements and fabbed my own bracket from a 1/4" piece of aluminum plate I had on hand.