Author Topic: Turn signal wiring  (Read 26 times)

Dick Bryant

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Turn signal wiring
« on: September 02, 2019, 04:13:35 pm »
I am trying to figure out the turn signal wires and any help will be appreciated. The two brown wires lead from the headlight dimmer button on the back of the turn signal lever. Not sure where they connect. Have a toggle on the dash that I can use to switch from low beam to high beam, but connecting the two brown wires to that mechanical switch won't work. It would need a relay and I can't tell where it's at in this Haywire harness.
Also, I did a continuity test on the other wires and by using the turn signal lever, I have continuity from {solid black to, green with black stripe } for right signal and  {solid black to, black with white stripe}, for left signal.
Now you would normally think the solid black would be a ground. Where is the power feed for this setup? Is the solid black the power feed, and what does that hook into? I'm a little Leary of hooking up a power feed until I know where I'm going with it.
All other gauges, gauge lights, fan, etc work fine, but lighting is a little goofy right now.
Would appreciate some help as I'm assuming all the cars use the same Volkswagen turn signal assembly. 

Greg K

• Hurricane fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turn signal wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 10:50:48 am »
Found this info for the VW turn signal switch from jbugs.com

Black Wire with White Stripe: Power to left turn signals
Green Wire with Black Stripe: Power to right turn signals
Brown Wire: Ground Terminal on Speedometer Mounting Screw
Brown Wire with White Stripe: "S" Terminal on Headlight Relay

Just don't know how it works with your harness.