Author Topic: Body weight  (Read 1200 times)

Dick Bryant

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Body weight
« on: June 17, 2018, 07:07:38 pm »
Could someone please tell me what the approximate weight of the body is? I built the body buck from Paul's website. I may shorten it about 4", but I want to make sure I have enough warm bodies here to lift it in place. I'm thinking 5 may be enough. I did mention that there will be beer.....so I may get 55!!! Will make sure beer after the job is done. Otherwise we may install the buck on top of the body! 

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Body weight
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 09:01:19 am »
Not sure of the exact weight but I always used 4 bodies (one at each fender well) to remove/replace the body.  Probably in the 200 lb range so each one had maybe 50 lbs.  A little beer and BBQ and those guys could always lift a lot more.  Be sure and put the 2x4 brace from the dash cowl to the rear cowl so the body doesn't flex and crack.

I built my body buck exactly to Paul's plans and the body fit perfectly.  The fender contours fit the plywood end pieces perfectly.  Paul did some research to modify a different manufacturer's body buck to fit the Hurricanes.  Worked perfectly for me to be able to store the body over the chassis and roll it out of the way when I was working on the chassis.

It was a monumental day when I was able to disassemble the body buck and do away with it (repurpose the wood).

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:10:18 am »
I would say less than 200 LB Dad and I moved the body several times just the two of us. The brace front to rear cowl is very important. When going on and off the chassis you do need at least 4 bodies, you need to be able to float around and watch things and help flex the sides out past the tub.

Dick Bryant

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 03:31:33 pm »
Thank you guys. I was guessing 250-300. The wood brace between cowls is still in place. Jason warned me about that when it was delivered.
Thanks again.

Dan

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM 1066  351/395  TKO 600
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 12:15:19 pm »
Body itself can't weigh anymore than 180-220 lbs.  I've installed and uninstalled many times on multiple cars with just two people.  Having a third to help guide things into place helps.

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:47:58 pm »
My wife and I lifted the body for HM-2018 to set it on top of the frame, cockpit and trunk tub when we were running short on space in our garage during the build. My wife lifted from the front to clear the frame and I lifted it over my head to get it over the trunk tub. Both of us are size, weight and muscle challenged and we had no trouble at all. Yes it is bulky, but not heavy. I'm guessing less than 90 pounds.
HM-2018 - build has started
427/451 FE Side Oiler + TKO-600 0.82
9" solid axle 3.50:1 limited slip
Willwood 12.25" New brakes
15" Vintage Wheels - pin drive

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 03:56:28 pm »
Dick, as Russ said, two people can lift it and place it on the frame, but it is a lot easier with 4 people because you will need to flex the sides out some to get it over the tub.

Sam

Dick Bryant

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 09:54:26 pm »
Had three buddies come over and it was pretty easy to get up on the buck. I had talked to Jason on Wednesday when they stopped by on their way to London, to drop off my seats, and he said the body was around 150 lbs. So the build will start soon. Thanks for all the replies.

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build in progress!
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:49:19 am »
Had three buddies come over and it was pretty easy to get up on the buck. I had talked to Jason on Wednesday when they stopped by on their way to London, to drop off my seats, and he said the body was around 150 lbs. So the build will start soon. Thanks for all the replies.

Ooooh exciting times!  I remember when I got all my boxes home I wanted to rip them all open like it was Christmas morning and I was 10 years old again!