Author Topic: Cockpit tub heat insulation...  (Read 3713 times)

aarvig

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cockpit tub heat insulation...
« on: September 05, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »
Hey guys!  What did you use to insulate the cockpit tub.  The kit comes with Reflect-O-Cool which is a fiberglass product with aluminum reflective coating.  Its rated for 2000 degrees radiant and 400 degrees direct.  Did you guys use this to help limit the heat into the tub or did you use another product?  I am putting the aluminum firewall option on the car as well.
HM-2016
Smeding 427W
TKO 600

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cockpit tub heat insulation...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:24:54 AM »
aarvig,
I also have the aluminum firewall option covering that also covers the top of the foot boxes. In addition to applying the reflective sheet product with adhesive between the aluminum firewall covering and the fiberglass foot box, I also used a product called Coo-It ThermoTec on the inside of the firewall and foot boxes. I purchased it from Summit.
This product does not have an adhesive, so I used 3M Super 77 aerisol. The ThemoTec is about 3/16" thick and the fiber between the reflective coating on both sides is really tough. I couldn't cut it with my Wife's sissors and had to use a tin snips. It is very flexible.
Haven't had it on the road for any lengthy period of time, so I can't tell you much about how well it insulates.
Russ C
HM-2018 - build has started
427/451 FE Side Oiler + TKO-600 0.82
9" solid axle 3.50:1 limited slip
Willwood 12.25" New brakes
15" Vintage Wheels - pin drive

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:29:22 AM »
aarvig,
Another picture with ThermoTec installed.
Russ C
HM-2018 - build has started
427/451 FE Side Oiler + TKO-600 0.82
9" solid axle 3.50:1 limited slip
Willwood 12.25" New brakes
15" Vintage Wheels - pin drive

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 07:57:22 PM »
I used an insulating material I bought at Lowes or Home Depot. It is about the same thickness as what Russ used and comes in a roll. I found it in the heating and A/C section and it is used to insulate duct work. It has a foam type insulating material backed with aluminum and is self adhesive. It worked well and I think several other Hurricane builders used it as well. I used it on all the interior surfaces of the tub.

Sam

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 07:26:07 AM »
Aaron, I used the thin adhesive backed stuff that came with the kit in the engine side of the foot boxes before I installed the aluminum. In the cockpit I used a product call Rblock, which is about the same a dynamat or hushmat. It is a foil faced product that is some what adhesive and you cut and roll into place. I did almost the whole cockpit for heat and sound purposes.   
I have to figure out how to post pictures since all the photo bucket crap went down. Aaron, can you still access it?

Mark

MFE III

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM #1053
    • MSN Messenger - mferieg@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »
I think I probably used the same material as Sam. Self stick foam/foil duct insulation.  This was the product recommended by ERA for their cars. Went on very easy. Applied it under alum panels on cockpit tub in the engine bay and the entire interior and trunk interior.
I have no interior heat issues and I think it adds to a more solid sounding car.
HM 1053; 427w, TKO 600 (.82) IRS Cobra hybrid . . . burns both rubber and gas

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM2023, Builder of HM1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »
I feel I kind of went 'overkill' on my insulation and paid a price in vehicle weight, but I don't have any heat issues in the footbox, even when in 95+ temperatures.

Aluminum firewall skin, Reflect-O-Cool layer, Footbox fiberglass, ThermoKing foam/foil layer on surfaces outside of footbox; Koolmat on surfaces inside footbox, Jute carpet pad layer, cut-loop carpet

Paul
https://65shlb.com   Documentation of a period correct build
https://prdcrrct.com  Affordable period correct components

dawger

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 09:28:53 AM »
Sorry for responding so late to this issue. I like Paul probably overdid the heat shielding. I put the normal supplied heat barrier on the outside of the footbox/cockpit. Then inside I installed Lizard Skin thermal barrier along with a layer of Eastwoods heat shield / sound barrier then will apply the carpet padding and carpet. May give up some in the weight department. I know how hot it gets in my 68 mustang without any heat barriers, so hopefully this will cut it down some.

Michael

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 05:49:02 AM »
I only applied heat insulation to the bellhousing/transmission tunnel.  Used the stuff from Home Depot that Sam Identified.  Worked like a champ.  Has 1/8" foam rubber covered with aluminum.  Very sticky so have to position the pieces carefully before rolling smooth.  My thoughts were the carpet padding and carpet provides pretty good heat as well as sound insulation so really don't need a lot more. 

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS