Author Topic: HM-2005 Build Thread  (Read 32558 times)

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM-2005 Build Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »
Russ,
You finished your car and it is a beauty. What a huge accomplishment. All that enjoyment during the build and its only going to get better with every mile you drive you car. Thank you for sharing your expriences with each post. Now you can start posting over in the Finished Kit Pictures section. Congratulations!

Russ C.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:23:37 PM by Russ Crouch »
HM-2018 - build has started
427/451 FE Side Oiler + TKO-600 0.82
9" solid axle 3.50:1 limited slip
Willwood 12.25" New brakes
15" Vintage Wheels - pin drive

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2018, 05:50:41 AM »
Thanks.

Hope my experiences can help others with their build.  Mine was one of the first cars from Hurricane in Lake City so there were some challenges.  I like that Hurricane is making the car even better from the changes you have said they made to yours.  I've never regretted buying and building a Hurricane.

BTW, drove it Thursday.  It was in the 50's and clear.

I told my wife I should get some license plates that say "Beast" because there is nothing tame about a Cobra.  Not the steering, brakes, suspension, raw horsepower - nothing!!!  Respect it or it will bite you big time.
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build is done! (for now)
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2018, 08:46:49 AM »
Here's a pix of the final result.  With the installation of the trunk carpet, I'm essentially done with my car.

Thanks, this answers one of my questions - should I get top or side post battery?  Looks like there is no room on the top at all!

Can't wait to see your "Beast" in San Marcos, two months to go!
HM-2008 build thread: http://forum.hurricane-motorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2352.

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »
I decided to go with the side post battery.  I bought a billet battery hold down.  With the battery and hold down, it just barely fits under the 2X2" support that is above the battery shelf.  In fact, I tried installing the hold down on top of the carpet and I could not get the batter in place.  Had to cut around the carpet and set the hold down directly on the fiberglass shelf to get it to fit.

In the picture you can see there isn't much room above the batter to the 2X2" support.  This is without the carpet.

Others have used a top post and they fit fine.  The posts sit in front of the 2X2" support.  Not sure the size they used.  I decided on the side post as I was able to put some covers over the terminals so nothing gets shorted.

Can't wait for TCC.  Looking forward to being able to drive my own car finally.

Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2018, 08:20:37 AM »
I decided to go with the side post battery.  I bought a billet battery hold down.  With the battery and hold down, it just barely fits under the 2X2" support that is above the battery shelf.  In fact, I tried installing the hold down on top of the carpet and I could not get the batter in place.  Had to cut around the carpet and set the hold down directly on the fiberglass shelf to get it to fit.

Wow that *IS* tight! 

HM-2008 build thread: http://forum.hurricane-motorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2352.

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2018, 10:16:39 AM »
You can see there is room for top posts in front of the 2X2" support.  I think Mark McKinnis used a top post although it might have been shorter battery case.  The covers I used on mine were left over from a top post battery from my Jeep.  They would work to protect the top post terminals/cables.
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM-2005 Spare Tire
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2018, 05:54:51 AM »
I decided to put a spare tire in my trunk.  I acquired a P155/60R15 tire mounted on a 15x6.5" Shelby American rim.  This was one of the silent auctions at the TCC a couple of years ago and the buyer didn't use it so I bought it from him.

Mounted a couple of footman loops up against the battery tray shelf and secured the tire with a 1-1/2" strap so it wouldn't move around.

This tire is 24" diameter and just fits in the Hurricane trunk space.  Any larger diameter and the trunk lid wouldn't close.  My billboards are 26" diameter so the difference from the ground to the axle is only 1".  Since I have independent suspension all around the difference in diameter won't be an issue.  This tire will get me home.  I have my lead hammer and a small scissor jack in the trunk.

I also hedged my bets and have a combination portable air compressor/fix a flat from Griots and a tubeless plug repair kit in my trunk.  If I need the room, I can take the tire out and still take care of a flat.

Here's a pix of the tire in the trunk.

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2018, 08:50:42 AM »
Russ,
That is sweet. I've been thinking about that same thing. Pretty tough to get Tow Mater to come out into the Sandhills of Nebraska with no cell coverage. The vultures would be finished before anyone finds us.
Have you thought about some type jack?
I will be looking for a pin-drive compatible wheel.
HM-2018 - build has started
427/451 FE Side Oiler + TKO-600 0.82
9" solid axle 3.50:1 limited slip
Willwood 12.25" New brakes
15" Vintage Wheels - pin drive

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
Re: HM-2005 Spare Tire
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2018, 09:07:49 AM »
I decided to put a spare tire in my trunk.  I acquired a P155/60R15 tire mounted on a 15x6.5" Shelby American rim.  This was one of the silent auctions at the TCC a couple of years ago and the buyer didn't use it so I bought it from him.
Russ

Did you get that from WhatsHisName?  I bid on it, and he outbid me.     Also, did you check to see if it fits on your 5-pin adapters?

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2018, 02:33:20 PM »
Yes, I got it from Gregg Herdlitchka.  He was going to make a clock out of it and hang it on the wall but never did it.  I got it when I borrowed his tires/wheels to pass my safety inspection to get my car registered.  I tried it then to make sure it fit the 5 pin drive Vintage adapters. 

I bought a small scissor jack from eBay that collapses down to almost nothing.  Has a removable handle. 

I bought a couple of tool bags from Harbor Freight (blue Hercules brand) to put things in.  Small enough to fit in the openings on the sides in the trunk.

Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »
Saw pictures of you and your bride out and about. Could tell you were smiling even from the side. Congrats.

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2018, 01:51:19 PM »
It will be along while before that smile starts to diminish.  Lovin' every minute of it.  She enjoys it too.  Guess I'm gonna have to let her drive it.

Gave a presentation out at my old work on Wednesday since it was half finished when I retired.  Also took the car out there for show and tell.  Had probably the largest turnout ever for our Motorsports group.  A lot of gearheads and racers out there.  One guy has a FF5 that he is re-converting to a street car from a spec racer.

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS