Author Topic: HM2008 Build  (Read 31171 times)

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
  • HM2008 build is done! (for now)
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
Re: HM2008 Build
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2018, 11:21:43 AM »
The last of the fluids have been added and topped off, just waiting to press the "ignite" button on Saturday!

We are still on for Saturday, weather be damned. I dont expect any mechanical challenges, and should be over fairly quickly. I have a heated garage and will just push it out under the carport for the start up. Its more of a celebration with friends, and I was hoping to have a driveway full of cobras to help celebrate the "birth" but, oh well ... video will be posted.

Russ Crouch

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
Bob,
How did the first startup go yesterday?
HM-2018 - build has started
427/451 FE Side Oiler + TKO-600 0.82
9" solid axle 3.50:1 limited slip
Willwood 12.25" New brakes
15" Vintage Wheels - pin drive

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2018, 02:28:51 PM »
Success!   We had liftoff on Saturday despite the really nasty cold drizzling rain, and a very good crowd made it, thanks Guys!   

Russ from San Antonio came up and helped me get started.  We first set the #1 piston on top dead center, then marked the distributor and rotor position with a sharpee. I then removed the distributor and manually ran the oil pump with his priming tool, and I saw that the oil pressure jumped up to 80-90 psi which was encouraging.    Then once the crowd arrived, including my dad and son, I ran the oil primer once more, then installed the distributor back in place at the marks I previously made.   I then filled the carb float bowls with fuel up to half way in the sight glass and it was time to roll it out and try to start.

We pushed the car out to the driveway and everyone gathered around.   I jumped in anxious to push the "boom!" button.   Hit the starter and the engine turned over and over and over and no fire. Not a spit or sputter.  Then someone yelled they saw a fuel leak in the fuel rail. It was minor, and I jumped out to grab a wrench.  As I came back he said "found your problem, bobby" - I had forgot to plug the distributor wire back in.  Duh!

After tightening the fuel fitting, I jumped back in, hit hit button and this time......

Yippee!   Ain't Life Grand?!

My brother in law came with his multi-camera video set up and took a lot of high quality video. He is editing it up this week and I will publish it as soon as I get it. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:22:18 AM by Bob Worley »

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2018, 03:32:24 PM »
Bob, glad it went smoothly. Didn't expect anything else, but good to see. I noticed there was a smile on your face. Is it still there? Congrats. Not long now.

Sam

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM2023, Builder of HM1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2018, 08:28:51 PM »
Great Job!

Isn't it amazing how much better you feel after your pucker valve relaxes   ;D

Keep it up - next milestone is 'go-kart'

Paul
https://65shlb.com   Documentation of a period correct build
https://prdcrrct.com  Affordable period correct components

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »
Great Job!
Isn't it amazing how much better you feel after your pucker valve relaxes   ;D
Keep it up - next milestone is 'go-kart'

Paul

Yep, I just need to bleed brakes and clutch and I'll be ready to rumble around the block....   ;D

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2018, 09:40:53 AM »
So Bobby, it has been almost eleven days since you first started. How many times have you started it since? And do you have cramps in your cheeks yet from smiling so much?

Mark

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2018, 03:41:39 PM »
So Bobby, it has been almost eleven days since you first started. How many times have you started it since? And do you have cramps in your cheeks yet from smiling so much?

Mark

Mark, just a few times ;)   I still have a fuel leak in the fuel rail - I picked up a fuel pressure regular from Summit Racing to plug into the leaky end plug. and a loose oil pressure sender letting some oil out ..  I tightened it up good.  I finished up the engine harness in corrugated high temp nylon tubing, and  I have the dash out now finishing up the wiring bundles and installing disconnect molex connectors to the dash harness.   

AND.... here is the final long version video produced and edited by my brother-in-law .... enjoy!!   Watch on a big screen and turn the volume UP!!

Paul Proefrock

• Administrator
  • HM2023, Builder of HM1078
    • View Profile
    • 65SHLB Build Info
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2018, 06:24:39 PM »
Good Job, Bobby - the video and the build  ;D

Paul
https://65shlb.com   Documentation of a period correct build
https://prdcrrct.com  Affordable period correct components

s_reynolds

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2018, 10:06:45 AM »
Fantastic Bob!! Looks like the crowd got bigger as you got closer to beer and pizza time. Thanks for sharing.

Sam

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
HM2008 Build - First Drive!
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »
My dad and I bled the clutch and the brakes, and this past Friday I took it out for its maiden voyage!    All went well.    (yes I know: take it out of gear first.  Yes I know: their is cardboard on the radiator)

I have a small oil leak at the oil pressure sender; I need to remove it and try to seal the threads.

I also found I have a few brake fluid leaks; two of the girling cans are leaking at the bottom - this is really going to be a pain to fix.  May have to bend some more 1/4" hard line. :(

mandmGuys

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
Did not want to highjack the other thread, so moved over here. Bobby how recent was that last picture in the group you posted? Do you have the body back on?

Mark

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2019, 02:10:37 PM »
Did not want to highjack the other thread, so moved over here. Bobby how recent was that last picture in the group you posted? Do you have the body back on?

Mark

That pic was from last Summer fitting the windscreen.     The body is not back on yet.   

I'm working frantic on the car every day trying to get it ready for San Marcos   I've almost finished the carpet, all the leaks are fixed, the brakes are great, it drives great - but I've only driven it around the block a few times up to 30 mph or so.   Its really, really untested.   

Monday I started on the bodywork - I'm having to fill in the front quick jack holes and the roll bar holes with resin and mat and re-drill, because they were pre-drilled them at the factory and they are WAY off where they need to be.  Also the side pipe exits are very crude so I'm fixing them.   Hopefully that will get done this week and I can mount the body next week.

I'm still hoping to drive it down to San Marcos, but the wiser choice might be to trailer it down.  I just don't have a glamorous trailer like other folks, only my dad's old farm trailer.  Regardless, it will be there -

Bob Worley

• Hurricane Owner
    • View Profile
    • bobworley.com
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2019, 01:53:43 PM »
Guys, I'm sorry I haven't been updating this post lately, but I've been frantically working nights and weekends to get my build ready for the annual Texas Cobra Meet in San Marcos April 4-7, 2019.   

An overview since last post:  I've installed 90% of the carpet, installed the body, trunk, doors, hood.  Installed windshield and wipers.
 Completed the wiring to the headlights, taillights, and park/turn lights.   I have the dash in, and last night I actually drove it down the highway service road about 6 miles round trip, got up to 70 mph.  NO problems.   This weekend I'll try to finish installing all the aluminum inner panels, finish carpet and permanently install seats.   Hope to take it to get 4-wheel alignment on Monday.      I leave with HM-2008 on a trailer to San Marcos Wednesday morning 8am!         

When I get back, I still have a lot of little things to do to, probably for months and years tweaking it.  But this has been a 6+ year build that is coming to a climax at the TEXAS COBRA MEET!   Hope to see some of you all there.

Russ Rittimann

• Hurricane Owner
  • Hurricane Motorsports
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2019, 05:40:19 AM »
Yahoo!!!!

Russ
Russ
HM-2005
KC-408, Tremec 600, IRS